Wednesday 8 July 2009

Control+Alt+Backspace shortcut does not restart the X server

Control+Alt+Backspace shortcut does not restart the X server

Edit: I believe this was removed because the kernal already contained another combo that does the same job, Alt+SysReq+k will terminate and restart X if it should become unresponsive.

If you would prefer the old key combination then issue the following two commands in a terminal. I would advise against this though, but as always, the choice is entirely yours.

sudo apt-get install dontzap
then do:
sudo dontzap –disable



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think the default key combination has been changed to Alt + PrtScr + K.

SubBASS said...

You are absolutely right, I had thought I added that key combo many months ago when I became aware of it, clearly I was mistaken and shall correct that oversight now.

Many thanks for your comment.